Saturday, February 20, 2016

Form Follows Fitness 5K

Race: Form Follows Fitness 5K
Watch Time: 25:18
Official Time: 24:49
Pace: 7:59 min/mi

Comments: I signed up for this 5K at the last minute for several reasons but none more important than the fact I haven't run ANY race in almost two years. And since the course was through the Dallas arts district, I figured it would be a nice welcome back.

It was a pretty crowded field with more than 2,500 runners. Since the start was on some of the narrower streets, my first mile wasn't a spectacular pace. Toward the end of it things started clearing up a little and I could settle into a more steady groove. Of course I went too fast but remembering that (and not doing it next week) was a big part of the reason I ran this.

The course had a decent amount of downhill over the first two miles but a lot of uphill on the last one. I kind of knew this was coming from running races in downtown before so it wasn't a surprise. Still, never a lot of fun.

I was hoping to get under the 8 min/mi mark but the slow start kept that from happening. Still, I think the effort to produce that goal was clearly there. Obviously, I ain't taking a stab at that next week.

UPDATE: The official chip time was 24:49 which put me under the 8 min/mi threshold. Yay me!


Conditions
Hour: 8:30 a.m
Surface: concrete
Weather: overcast
Temperature: 70 degrees
Humidity: 80 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano 21

Injury update: nada