Monday, January 1, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

Well, I made it a pretty far way last year. I started by skipping out on the New Year's Eve run and feeling even more guilty when I saw the Rock 'n Roll Arizona TV coverage a few weeks later.

So I got pissed off, got off my ass and started putting into the miles. I also started this little blog to document the effort.

Over the next 12-months I was able to put in two 10K's, a 5K and one half-marathon (a listing of them can be found here). Mostly, though, it was a year of building myself up and establishing a solid routine to base actual race training on.

I've mostly run alone due to my weird South/North America living situation. Despite that I've made a few running friends that have gotten me through the tough spots. If any of you are reading this - and I'm pretty sure you know who you are - thanks a lot, guys.

So, in two weeks I'll be at the starting line of my primary goal over the last twelvemonth, running my first marathon. Obviously, I'd prefer performing at the maximum level possible and making my next goal - running the Boston Marathon - possible.

After that... well, I'd like to put in a South America marathon during the year and, if all goes as planned, I'd love to hop over to Australia for the 2007 Blackmores Sydney Marathon on Sept. 23.

But, for today, I think it's more important to take a minute to look back and consider what I've been able to accomplish. And try my level best to heal up for the coming challenge.