Saturday, January 20, 2007

Recovery Run

Distance: 1.5 miles
Time: unk
Pace: unk

Comments: The first time back on the pavement since the marathon. Needless to say this was an exploratory effort.

I was understandably achy from the get go and I headed out gingerly as a result. I found if I rolled my step forward and kept from landing on my heel, it relieved a lot of the pounding.

But it was touch and go for more than half-a-mile and then I had enough of it and decided to try and just run despite the soreness. Interesting discovery, I now have the ability to tell the pain to "piss off."

William Wallace at the end of Braveheart...? Pussy.

What was frustrating was feeling like I wanted to just run. I wanted to just hit a stride and get it going. But, even though the strength was there to do it the soreness of my hips wasn't going to let it happen.

Anyhow, I put in close to a mile and a half and that was it. I thought about timing it but decided against it. No need to push my limits right now.

One interesting thing. My watch still had my marathon time on it. Hitting "Reset" and setting it back to zero really felt like I was putting the disappointment of the race behind me and I was starting the effort to do it better in the next one.

Conditions

Hour: 11:30 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: partly cloudy
Temperature: 48 degrees
Humidity: 81 percent
Wind: calm 
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Brooks
Con Musica

Injury update: The left psoas seems to still be the main problem. While my entire hips were achy from the start it was this one point that was still sore after the run - to the point I had a slight limp.