Thursday, February 23, 2006

Fitness Run

Distance: not sure
Time: 23 minutes, early afternoon run
Surface: concrete
Weather Conditions: hot and sunny. 80s
Location: Lima, Peru

Comments: I planned to put in 45 minutes but it became clear that was not realistic and possibly dangerous. I had only 8 hours sleep over the prior 48 hours, I was not acclimated to the hot, humid conditions and I had not eaten anything that day. And there is the fact I just got over being ill.

So I decided cut it back to half an hour but stopped completely at 23 minutes when I started getting a headache. Not a good sign given the situation. I felt weak and never really got a good pace. 

But it really wasn't a bad run when all the factors are considered. It was soooo nice to be back in the Summer that I really couldn't be upset with any run in the sun, no matter how pathetic my pace.

The route I took was along the clifftops over the sea in Miraflores. It was the first time I had run on an uneven surface - with inclines and dips. It undulates slightly and that was tougher to handle than I thought it would be (my runs in Arizona and Florida were completely level surfaces).