Saturday, December 31, 2016

Long Run

Distance: 20 miles
Time: 3:52:16
Pace: 11:37 min/mi

Comments: I knew I wanted to get a 20 miler in at some point this New Year's weekend but I was undecided on the exact day. I was doubtful about my readiness today but with ideal temps and the possibility of rain over the next two day forced my hand.

I knew it was going to be rough and so it was. I started extraordinarily slow and I focused on keeping my pace down the whole way. A lot of this run was mental and it was a battle the whole way.

The last five miles were unpleasant to the extreme. No need to regulate the pace at that point; I took whatever I could get. The fatigue was relentless and every step of the last mile or so was its own little death. Ironically, since walking would be as agonizing as running, I really had no reason to stop.

Got it done with a reasonable average pace. Hopefully this is a building block for better things to come.

Conditions

Hour: 9 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: overcast to clear
Temperature: 52 degrees
Humidity: 66 percent
Wind: 5 mph
Location: Lewisville, Texas
Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano 22

Injury update: Everything hurt at one point or another.