Saturday, January 12, 2019

Walt Disney World Half Marathon

Distance: 13.1 miles
Chip Time: 3:29:24
Gun Time: 3:51:25
Pace: 15:58 min/mi

Comments: I certainly had the best of intentions when I signed up for the Goofy Challenge last summer. A back-to-back half marathon and marathon made some sort of sense as I trained for my first full in a few years. The languid training I did after that event was much less smart on my part.

The plan was to run the half with my girlfriend who was doing her first one. My hope was the reduced pace would help me control the fatigue and conserve energy for the full marathon the next day. That was the plan, anyway.

One thing we expected but really weren't ready for was the sheer size of the event. The sheer number of runners along with the logistics of running things on the WDW property was intimidating to experience. Pretty much from the 2:30 a.m. wakeup, you are in a confusing mass of humanity trying to figure out what is going on.

Eventually we got to the correct corral and waited. It took about an hour to get things into place and the race to begin. Then it was 20 minutes of staged starts before we could cross the starting line at about 6 a.m.

From there it was just keeping a steady pace and trying to enjoy the experience. After a few miles the race went through the main toll plaza and there were plenty of distractions to keep one occupied. A couple miles later was the portion down Main Street U.S.A. in the Magic Kingdom -- a portion of the course that very much lives up to the hype.

After the Magic Kingdom, the course follows access roads to get back to Epcot. These are a little on the mundane side and the distance started taking a toll on my girlfriend. Her conditioning held but a nagging ankle issue decided to make itself known.

The result were some walking as we approached Epcot, particularly on the inclines from the overpasses. The Epcot portion was disappointingly short and almost entirely in backstage areas. Not the most magical miles of the race.

My girlfriend hit a full run the last section but I held back knowing I had a lot of work ahead of me in 24 hours. Overall, the race went well and I felt pretty positive going into the full.

Conditions

Hour: 5:30 a.m
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: clear
Temperature: 56 degrees
Humidity: 87 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Orlando, FL
Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 15

Injury update: The big worry, my right knee, completely cooperated. I had some tightness in my lower right calf after the race though.