Friday, March 17, 2006

Fitness Run

Distance: not sure
Time: one hour
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather Conditions: misty, cool, 60s; morning run
Location: Miraflores, Lima, Peru
Secret weapon: Run Lola Run Soundtrack

Comments: One thing is for sure, getting off the treadmill and back on the road can be a bit of a shocker. I hopped on the pavement with that wonderfully perky gait I had been using most of the week and, lets just say it didn't take me long to return to reality.

Tough one. I had to really work on getting it done. But I was able to work on my stride and there is some evidence I am finally getting some strength in my legs. Although I could really feel the hills like I usually do, I didn't feel I was slogging my way through it when I hit them. But I am not getting my hopes up for a miracle surge in progress anytime soon.

I had a distressing couple of minutes when I could feel that distinctive pain when the ilitobial band and that bump of bone on the outside of the knee do that thing they do. I scrambled to alter my pace and it went away but a very worrisome development indeed. I did not develop the post-run knee pain I was dealing with in the past, so that, at least, is a good sign.

Prior to the run I did my two sets of situps (400 total) and a pretty thorough stretching regimen. Afterwards I did stretching for the warmdown as well. With the additional miles, I really can't be lazy and skip this anymore. My regular degree of flexibility, although impressive, is going to get to the point it ain't just enough eventually.