Thursday, May 18, 2006

Fitness Run

Distance: 6 kilometers (3.7 miles)
Time: 30 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather Conditions: sunny, warm, 70s, late morning run
Location: Miraflores, Lima, Peru

Comments: Another good day running sidetracked by blisters. My goal was to put in the 45 minutes and it felt very possible running wise but at about the 25-minute mark my toe started to feel raw and I stupidly held off another five minutes before dealing with it. Now both my pinkie toe and the next one have raw spots and I have only two days until my race.

The problem is that the point of contact between them is such that it pushes a bandage off after any prolonged running. The bandages - now a band-aid held in place with a strip of medical tape - may work to cover the bad spot but they also create other points of friction as well.

So now I haven't run a decent long run in half a month prior to this race. That's got me a bit worried. And the pre-race jitters probably are only going to get worse from here on in.