Thursday, June 15, 2006

Fitness Run

Distance: 6.5 km (4 miles)
Time: 45 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather Conditions: hazy, overcast, cool, 50s, late morning run
Location: Miraflores, Lima, Peru

Comments: Well, the last run clearly took its toll on me yesterday and the effects were still there today. There just wasn't a lot of spring in my step for the whole effort. In fact, it felt like I was slogging through molasses the whole way. But, despite that, it was a pretty good effort.

I started by stretching pretty thoroughly. My left knee was a little sore yesterday and this morning. Kind of generally sore, not the specific soreness that I associate with the IB problems I have had. So I really concentrated on limbering up my hamstrings and quads.

On the street it was a battle the whole way. I didn't set anything on fire with my pace, thats for sure. It was a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other type of run. Even my secret weapons had no effect (other than to keep my mind off the struggle itself).

Although it wasn't fancy, it wasn't bad either. I didn't have any real problems at any point and I was able to keep at a steady - if not spectacular - pace the whole way.

The knuckle of my left big toe was kind of sensitive during the run and the ball of the toe was sore after. I think the former was due to my sock and the latter due to the humid weather in Lima that aggravates my arthritis.