Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 11 km (6.8 miles)
Time: one hour
Surface: asphalt, concrete
Weather Conditions: chilly, overcast, 50s, afternoon run
Location: Miraflores, Lima, Peru

Comments: After slacking off for two weeks I finally broke down and used the infallable motivation that is my birthright as an American - financial investment. Or, more to the point, I went shopping. After dropping my iPod during the race, it is clear I don't need to be taking it along on my runs. As my primary way of enjoying my music, getting it broken or stolen is just too high a risk.

So I ambled down to the Apple store and bought an iPod shuffle. Of course buying it here in Peru means I payed WAY too much for it but most MP3 players sold here are similarly pricy and I already have all the software on the computer. And even given the expense, it's still a cheaper option than risking the regular iPod.

With the new toy I was pretty much obligated to run today. I hit the gym, stretched out and took to the road. I didn't feel at all ready but, given my long layoff, I was determined to put in a solid run this time. So I kind of put it on autopilot and just started putting one leg in front of the other. The goal was one hour - damn the mileage.

As one might suspect, I felt a number of little pains as I progressed but nothing critical. The ball of my left foot has been sore and I got a twinge in my right achilles tendon at one point. I am very achy afterward but thats probably due to the excessive time off.