Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Recovery Run

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 31:37
Pace: 7:54/mi

Comments: I clearly am not over the pounding of Sunday and the weeks prior. But, in context, I performed pretty well.

I took yesterday off and visited the masseuse. The work she did on the calves and quads was excruciating and left me feeling as rough as I did after the run. But, it was a relief to finally work out all the knots and kinks that have formed in my legs due to the workload.

So I approached today as a simple recovery run, working out the rest of the stuff. I considered going six miles but there really is no need to pile on the mileage if I don't feel up to it.

So I just tried to keep at a steady pace and with a good form the whole way. I wanted to beat 8 minute mile pace and I almost nailed it on the nose. If I can keep 'recovering' on this track, I should be set for the race.

Conditions

Hour: 11 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: overcast
Temperature: 52 degrees
Humidity: 45 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Asics
Con Musica

Injury update: The pain in my right calf is still there but lessened somewhat. It was nagging at the beginning of the run but not really an issue after the first mile. My quads are still beat up pretty bad and will need a few more days to recover.