Saturday, September 5, 2015

Fitness Run

Distance: 8 miles
Time: 1:19:01
Pace: 9:52 min/mi

Comments: My intention was to do six miles today. Got started and it was so hot and humid and uncomfortable I thought it was likely I'd have to settle for four. But I warmed up well and decided to stay on track for six. Then, somewhere after mile five I realized I was doing very well and said, "what the heck" and went for eight.

Overall the run went well. It was very humid and I had to survive a swarm of gnats at one point. While 10 minute miles aren't earth shattering, my consistency over the course of the run was rather good, particularly the second half.

The last time I did eight miles was more than a year ago. The last time I did more than 25 miles in a week was April of 2013. I certainly am not setting any speed records but the fact is my strength is coming back. Soon I'll have to focus on stamina. That means speed work.

Conditions
Hour: 5:45 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: clear
Temperature: 78 degrees
Humidity: 83 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Lewisville, Texas
Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano 21

Injury update: The stiffness in the right calf continues and the ball of my left foot was sore for a couple miles.