Saturday, December 17, 2016

Long Run

Distance: 18 miles
Time: 3:27:50
Pace: 11:33 min/mi

Comments: I was really dreading this one. And for good reason. I really dialed back over the last two weeks and while I've felt very strong on each of the recent runs, that's not the same as a full-on long run.

With the brutal cold set to arrive this afternoon, I was forced to run this in slightly warmer conditions than I would like. It started fine but, by the end, temps were in the mid-70s and the sun was out in force.

So that stacked the deck against me right when fatigue jumped on my ass. I was feeling it at 12 miles but the last four got worse every next step. The real long runs are just as important for testing your mental toughness and this one sure as hell did that.

Conditions

Hour: 8 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: partly cloudy
Temperature: 62 degrees
Humidity: 92 percent
Wind: 10 mph gusts
Location: Lewisville, Texas
Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano 22

Injury update: Various soreness at various times. My left leg felt really bad at one point.