Thursday, June 7, 2018

Tempo Run

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 32:43
Pace: 8:10 min/mi

Comments: The last two runs have been nudging my fastest regular workout pace for the year so I decided to saddle up and see what my legs could do. This wasn't a speed workout as much as an effort to push myself to what we used to call "3/4 race pace."

The first mile turned out to be a warmup mile but I was conscious of not letting it get too comfortable. The route I ran meant the first and last mile had a bit of a hill so I used that to get my heart rate going. Then, for the second and third mile, I just tried to keep the pressure on. Not all out sprint, but not letting my pace ease off either.

The last mile was focusing on keeping the effort going for the uphill and cruising the downhill to make up any time lost. The result; one of my fastest runs in years.

Conditions

Hour: 6:15 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: clear
Temperature: 78 degrees
Humidity: 84 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: Slight ache in right knee on mile two.