Saturday, April 29, 2006

Week Wrapup

Total Distance: 17.75 kilometers (11 miles)
Total Time: 2.5 hours

Comments: Only one run for the week but it was a doozy. This is probably my first "real" training week. I will start trying to aim for specific races in my workouts from now on rather than just run to get in shape enough to survive.

To keep up with these new goals I will start having these end-of-the week wrapups to look at my progress and my general impressions of the previous seven days. Most training schedules I have found like to track weekly mileage so this is a good way to do that as well. Also, I am not counting the treadmill miles but I will count the time.

The pain in my foot after my big run had me pretty worried this week. I iced it three times a day and relaced my shoes to fit more firmly (not necessarily tighter) than they had been. I also took the extra day off as a precaution. It seems to be fine now but I will be careful about it for some time to come.

And to be completely honest, I took the extra day off because it was clear the two-hour jaunt took a lot more out of me than I first thought. I really was sore after this one. For two nights I simply lay in bed staring at the ceiling feeling every inch of my body ache - particularly in the joints of my legs. The good news is that it eased off and I seem to be fine.

Now the marathon is out there and real. And I can tell you what, I ain't skipping it like the last one I registered for three years ago.