Saturday, June 24, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 15 kilometers (9.31 miles)
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete/sand/dirt
Weather Conditions: cool, overcast, 60s, mid-morning run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco/Chorillos, Lima, Peru

Comments: The long run of the week. After my achyness yesterday I waited till this morning to decide if this was a go or not. But I got up feeling good and without any of the little pains that have been hanging around during the week. So I laced up the ASICS and hit the road.

Knowing I am probably pushing my endurance at this point, I stretched out really well before taking off. I went down the hill to the beach and headed south. Instead of heading back up the cliffside in Barranco I kept going - all the way through Chorillos and around the Virgin del Marro. On the back side of the hill, and just shy of 45 minutes, I turned it around.

Most of the run was asphalt but I did a little on the dirt and a little on the beach. More to mix it up but not enough to freak my knees out. I also used a gel and drank during the run for the first time. The former tastes like crap and the latter was annoying to carry. But both seemed to work.

This was a really great run. I felt in control the whole way. I held a good pace but got slain by the huge hills at the tip of Chorillos. Not to mention I finished the run on the hill back up to Miraflores. At the top I pounded an Inca Kola for the sugar.