Thursday, October 5, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 11.8 kilometers (7.32 miles)
Time: 57:45 minutes
Surface: asphalt, concrete, grass
Weather Conditions: cool, overcast, misty, 60s, morning run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco, Lima, Peru

Comments: Pushed myself pretty hard today. I started at an easy but steady pace and gradually ramped it up throughout the run until I was going lickity-split at the end. I originally intended about 45 minutes but decided on a slightly longer route that, when I finally checked my watch, put me at almost an hour.

It was a very good run. I had everything I needed and I took it at my own terms. I set a slightly faster pace than normal but judged it just about right to get through the distance. I got that 'bulletproof' feeling about halfway, but let it ride rather than try and ramp it up with the sensation. 

In a word, I had more control on this run than ever before. That's something I want to keep focusing on, even on days where it's tough to get through it.

Afterward, my quads were pretty sore. Not pain sore but overworked sore. I'll take it easy on tomorrow's much shorter route.