Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 8 miles
Time: 57:12
Pace: 7:09/mi

Comments: I flaked out on the planned four-miler yesterday. The combination of tiredness, coldness and the blasted wind conspired to keep me indoors. It was more of an act of caution than laziness but I'm not looking forward to the bump in miles during my remaining runs to make up the difference.

So, as usual, when I feel like I have been slacking, I crank up the pace probably a bit more than I should. This one came in damn close to the ideal time I am targeting for the race. It's gonna be tough to do this for a whole 26.2 miles, that's for sure.

But it is a realistic possibility. I have some serious strength in my legs now and I'll be much better rested and fueled come Jan. 14. This week's monster miles are the key to making sure this level effort is a possibility.

Oh yeah. It was also damned chilly. I know running in the cold is better for times and all but that don't mean I like it one bit.

Conditions

Hour: 10 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 40 degrees
Humidity: 56 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Brooks
Con Musica

Injury update: Got a stiff feeling in the lower right calf about halfway. Not specifically painful but makes me cautious.