Sunday, December 17, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 14 miles
Time: 1:50:17
Pace: 7:53/mi

Comments: A lot more painful and difficult than I expected.

I got out a touch later than I expected and was greeted by streets still wet with rain and the type of humidity I tend to associate with Louisiana, not Arizona. But it wasn't really hot so it didn't affect me as much.

I wanted to hold a strong pace the whole way on this one and I did that but damn it was tough. The middle four or five miles felt pretty good but the start and end were simply hanging in there and trying not to give into the pain.

It isn't that this is too much distance for me or that it was a faster pace than my usual long runs - it's just the cumulative effect of all these miles.

And next week is even harder...

Conditions

Hour: 8:30 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: cloudy w/ drizzle
Temperature: 52 degrees
Humidity: 65 percent
Wind: 7 mph
Location: Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa, Arizona, Arizona
Shoes: Asics
Con Musica

Injury update: Just plain overuse. I thought I had a bit of a stone bruise under my right heel for a quarter-mile or so and the right achilles felt achy at about mile 11. Neither stuck around for long.