Sunday, June 17, 2007

Marathon Training Summary: Week 4

Time: 45 min
Distance: 8 kilometers

Comments: Well, it's been a bit uneven over the past few weeks for the training regimen. I took the backup pair of shoes with me but they ended up getting more work on the cobblestones of Cusco than on the pavement for any type of training. That said, I did a TON of walking and a fair bit of climbing as well. Here is a picture of my rather tired feet after I had climbed up Machu Picchu - the mountain, not the ruin itself (which is there right above my left shoe in the picture).The next day I scrambled to the top of Putukusi, the little peak there above my right shoe in the picture. It's at 2,600 meters and Machu Picchu mountain is significantly higher than that but I don't know the actual elevation.I did have every intent of going on

Now we see how much progress has been made. This week calls for some rather serious mileage and I will have to bear down to get through it in one piece.The mid-week run is a 5 miler and the long run will be a full 10 miles - distances I haven't run in workouts since November. I pretty much feel this week is where the rubber meets the road - survive and the marathon is a real possibility.While I am shaking off a bit of DOMS due to the weekend long run, my real concern is actually this right knee ache that developed during the run and then eased off after. I don't think it is an 'injury' per se but the heavy increase in mileage is not the recipe for staying hale and whole