Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hill Run

Distance: 5.90 miles
Time: 47:56

Comments: I had a chat with Coach Dean this morning and, while I might not feel any better about the situation I'm at in terms of my training, we at least have an idea on how we are going to address it.

Basically I'm going to redouble my nutrition efforts and, since I'm clearly behind on my strengthening efforts, we'll address that in the quality workouts. If all goes well, the two avenues of attack will provide some success.

The first test of things was the run tonight at South Mountain. None of my efforts at this site have been very good but the last one was downright abysmal. The target was getting these under the 4-minute mark and staving off a drastic drop in quality.

The biggest change in my tactics here was not pushing 100 percent at the steep section about a quarter mile mark. I wasn't easing off, but, to often, I've tried to hold the pace and worn myself completely out on this portion.

The upshot, as I hoped, was a stronger finish. I was as breathless and worn-out when I reached the top but not completely toast and unable to do the next one. The first one went remarkably well, finally breaking that 4 minute mark, as was the second. And while I slipped back over the line on the last two I didn't slow by half-a-minute like last time.

Overall, I'm still tremendously disappointed in my conditioning. Given the amount of work I've put in, I should be doing these significantly faster and with a great deal more control. But keeping them all within five seconds is an important indicator of the state of my stamina.

Conditions

Hour: 6:30 p.m.
Surface: apshalt
Weather: clear
Temperature: 102 degrees
Humidity: 22 percent
Wind: light
Location: South Mountain Park, Phoenix, Arizona
Shoes: Pearl iZUMi Surge+
Sin Musica

Injury update: The ankle roll but it seems to be OK.