Saturday, September 19, 2009

Long Run

Distance: 16 miles
Time: 2:24:25

Comments: During our talk this week Dean said that if I felt able to, I should try and add a mile to my long run or push the last mile or two at goal pace. I honestly thought all the way up to the last four miles that I was going to be able to do one of those but it just wasn't to be.

Since the distance was the key, I pretty much ignored the pace and the clock the whole way. That said, I could tell I was doing the thing significantly slower than normal. Which turned out to be just more than 9 min/mil average.

Yet the effect of the fatigue was stark. I averaged 8:45 over the first four miles, just more than 9 min over the next eight but could only manage 9:16 over the last four.

Conditions

Hour: 7:00 a.m.
Surface: dirt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 73 degrees
Humidity: 53 percent
Wind: calm 
Location: Western Canal; Chandler, Tempe, Arizona
Shoes: Pearl iZUMi Surge+
Con Musica

Injury update: The tight left calf and achyness in the right knee.