Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Training Run

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 44:36

Comments: The times on this run might seem exemplary but the fact is this was an unpleasant experience from start to finish. This was supposed to be a six-mile goal pace run but turned into more of a fartlek-style effort.

I was pretty apprehensive getting started due to my unsatisfying efforts of late and although the warmup mile was pretty uneventful, I wasn't completely at ease when time time came to push the pace a little. For good reason, every time I thought I was in the right pace it turned out I was at least 15 seconds slow.

So after a good half mile of this I just got tired of it and hit a full sprint. The idea was to completely break my rhythm and settle into the right pace afterward. But that's when some jackass decided to try and hit me at a crosswalk.

I swerved quickly, avoided him and called him a dickhead as I ran behind the car. Being the calm and understanding motorist he was he decided to threaten to beat my ass and proceeded to try and follow me. Which was pretty stupid in rush hour traffic but, oh well. Arizona drivers aren't renowned for their intelligence.

Anyway, the adrenaline rush pushed my pace back up again and I had to stop for a rest at just past the one mile mark. Between the incident with the idiot and my dissatisfaction with my performance so far, I decided to just scrap the goal pace run and make the workout a series of fast miles. I ran each one at fast pace and rested for about one minute between.

When all was said and done I got the four "goal pace" miles done at an average pace of 6:54 plus the warmup and cooldown miles at 8:30 or so. Given the unorthodox effort I really can't say if my performance was any better or worse than my other recent workouts.

Conditions

Hour: 6:30 p.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 100 degrees
Humidity: 14 percent
Wind: calm 
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Pearl iZUMi Surge+
Con Musica

Injury update: Tightness.