Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Pace Run

Distance: 7 miles
Time: 54:53

Comments: This one didn't suck. Which was nice.

I went out in the evening rather than in the morning to afford myself a bit more recovery time and to acclimate for the track effort tomorrow. It's finally halfway decent running weather - not a sweltering mess to slog through.

The first warmup mile went OK and I got into a decent pace on the first goal mile and tried to keep it reasonable effort. At the two-mile mark I started seriously considering adding an extra goal pace mile. As I turned the corner for the fourth I felt good enough to tack it on.

So, rather than struggling against that horrible feeling of exhaustion and the unrelenting desire to end the run I just battled the fatigue of the effort. Which is a massive improvement. Not easy, by any means, but the battle I need to be fighting.

The conclusion has to be that the diet was a big part of the problem. So now I need to concentrate harder on keeping the nutrition at the optimum levels. Another task easier said than actually accomplished.

Conditions

Hour: 6:20 p.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 87 degrees
Humidity: 12 percent
Wind: calm 
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Pearl iZUMi Surge+
Con Musica

Injury update: My right hip felt achy at the start but it eased off pretty quick. The left upper ankle had discomfort toward the end.