Monday, September 21, 2009

Time Trial

Distance: 5:62 miles
Time: 39:20

Comments: Well, today we were back at the track and to celebrate the occasion we did time trials. Which is essentially the vV02max test. One mile flat out. And what we learned is my feeling of lost stamina ain't just a feeling.

The last time we did this I cranked out the mile in 5:52. Tonight I lost seven seconds by Dean's watch. Eight by mine.

As much as I'd like to chalk the difference up to weather, situation, phases of the moon... the fact is is should be significantly faster given the level of training I've done since then.

Anyhow. The rest of the night was a barrage of 400s at mile pace. Of course, being pissed off at myself I did these tremendously faster than what the workout called for - mile pace. Which, at the time I ran tonight's time trial, should be 1:30. The only lap I did that slow was on the 800 with Jan.

Because as much as I was trying to talk everyone else out of making these time trials a bigger deal mentally than they really deserve, the fact is I'm starting to get my own heapin' helpin' of anxiety about my ability to make up all this lost ground.

Conditions

Hour: 6:30 p.m.
Surface: track
Weather: clear
Temperature: 95 degrees
Humidity: 14 percent
Wind: none
Location: Corona del Sol High School, Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Nike Lunar Racers
Sin Musica

Injury update: Sore quads.