Monday, July 3, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 10.5 kilometers (6.52 miles)
Time: 1 hour
Surface: asphalt/concrete, dirt
Weather Conditions: warm, 70s, sunny, noon run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco/Chorillos, Lima, Peru

Comments: I headed out fully expecting another drab and grey Lima day and - lo and behold! - an almost springlike afternoon blossomed. Unfortunately, I got caught with my long-sleeve running shirt and it got a tad warm. But that's a small price to pay, in my estimation. 

This was a simply wonderful run. Started good with lots of energy and took it down the hill onto the beach and pointed myself south. I got to the promenade in Chorillos at around the half-hour mark so I turned it around and headed back.

My pace wasn't anything incredible but I wasn't trying to break records. It's been a bit since I ran a full hour and I just wanted to get into the groove and crank it out. It felt good most of the way but the big push up the cliffside at the end was almost too much for me.

Now the bad news. I got a blister on the ball of my right foot and under toe number four on the left. This wasn't a problem when it was cooler so I am guessing its a sweat-related issue. Talcum will be my next alternative.

Worse, was a pain in the underside of my left foot. Almost like a fallen arch. It ached a bit during the run so I stopped, adjusted my laces and started again. That seemed to work but walking off the effort it started to ache again. I hit it hard with the ice - twice - and that seemed to help but this sould be a serious problem.