Sunday, August 6, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 23 kilometers (14.28 miles)
Time: 2 hours
Surface: asphalt/concrete/dirt/sand
Weather Conditions: overcast, cool, 60s, morning run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco/Chorillos, Lima, Peru

Comments: The plan called for 100 minutes but between feeling guilty from cutting back and a surprising amount of energy I slugged out a whole two hours. I had a general idea of how far I wanted to run and when I finally looked at my watch I had just hit the 100 minute mark so I said 'screw it' and finished the rest.

It wasn't easy and my quads were unhappy for a great deal of it but I never had any real doubt I could do it. I started with a relatively quick but short stride and tried to hold to it the whole way. For the most part, that's what I did. 

There were a few formidable hills during the course the last of which was my favorite 'la bruja.' But I just got up on my toes and concentrated on keeping the stride as regular as possible. I surprised myself by having enough strength to handle them all with relative ease.

Finishing this run I am dog tired but it marks a certain milestone. I am almost 100 percent sure I can do the marathon now. I am at the strength level it can be done. Now my aim is to give myself the resources I need to produce a decent time and a large enough tank for that last, horrible, six miles of the race.