Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 9.7 kilometers (6 miles)
Time: 47 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather Conditions: cool, overcast, 60s, noon run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco, Lima, Peru

Comments: I was planning on starting speed work this week at the track I found but my knee felt sore when I woke up and I didn't think it was a good idea to push it. Also, it rained last night - that cold just-more-than-a-mist rain Lima is famous for - so it was a perfect day for putting in a few miles anyway.

Although I wanted to hit pretty close to 45 minutes I purposefully didn't look at my watch till the end. I just set a route I knew would take about that long and ran it at the most comfortable pace I could. I ended up going a bit longer than expected but I did a bit less than I wanted on Sunday so it's all good.

I felt great the whole way. I was nervous about the left knee but it gave me no problems at all. I felt very strong through the whole run - absolutely no point where I felt dragging or tired or anything. I probably could have cranked out a faster performance but, as I mentioned, that probably would not have been a good idea.