Sunday, August 20, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 18.5 kilometers (11.5 miles)
Time: 98 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather Conditions: cool, overcast, 60s, early morning run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco/Chorillos, Lima, Peru

Comments: Got up a bit earlier today to hit the road more of a race time. I was on the pavement by 7:30 a.m. and it was a pretty nice time to be out. Few cars and only real runners putting in the miles. 

Although this wasn't a 'bad' run by any means I never really hit the groove during the thing. I seemed to have enough energy and strength for the whole thing but there was that snap in my step that just wasn't there. The run felt like work whereas my long runs usually are a delight for me.

Skipped the stretch and just went out. I kept the beginning of the run at barely more than a jog, giving myself lots of time to warm up. I made the route a bit more of a circut to lose one of the hills but still had three tough inclines to contend with.

In the last mile or so I had a disconcerting knee pain. It was an actual pain under the kneecap on the outside right side of my right knee. It wasn't sharp and it wasn't continual but, for about half a mile or so, it was pinging me. I fiddled with my stride and it seemed to ease up but it is NOT something I am happy about. 

I also went out with two bottles and a gel pack today. There is a knock-off energy drink sold here that tastes like ass but the bottles fit perfect in my hand. So I buy them, throw out the liquid and fill it with my Gatorade from powder. I just toss the bottles in the trash as I finish them. 

The gel this time was PowerBar Green Apple. I previously tried the lime and it tasted like glue, this was pretty good and didn't leave me desperate for liquid afterward. PowerBar is the brand used in the Rock 'n Roll Arizona race so I best get used to it.