Monday, October 30, 2006

New Shoes: Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6

On Saturday, I headed over to Performance Footwear in Tempe and picked up a new pair of shoes. Although I just picked up a new pair two weeks ago but my training miles are really piling up and it ain't a bad idea to alternate pairs under these conditions.

More importantly, I should have a good read on which shoe I like best for my long runs by early December or six weeks out from the race. That's when I'll buy the pair that I'll run the marathon in.

Anyhoo, I ended up buying the Brooks Adrenaline GTS 6. I tried these on two weeks ago and liked them but opted for the Sacony Grid Omni 5 because of the comfort factor. The Brooks have a more firm 'feel' to them but not at all the bulky sensation I associate with the motion control boots I was wearing previously.

I also tried the Mizuno Nirvana 2 (not bad, loose in the heel), the Brooks Trance 6 (goofy looking, weird feel) and the Saucony Hurricane 8 (uneven feel, rubs the ball of the foot). But the Adrenaline GTS 6 was by far the best of the bunch.

I also stocked up on Balega hidden comfort socks. The double layer socks I tried last time just didn't fit my feet (the large was too small and the extra large was too big). The Balegas are thin socks with a moisture-free fabric that seems to work for my feet. I have had none of the blister issues that previously plagued me (of course that might be the shoes, as well).