Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 6 miles
Time: 43:45 minutes
Pace: 7:18/mi

Comments: A tough one, although I ended up doing it pretty damn quick.

I stretched well and did a warm-up run beforehand. That had me a bit concerned because I felt pretty dragged out. But I got the actual run going and had a bit more pep than I expected.

But the whole route was a battle. I actually cut back from my beginning pace after half-a-mile or so since it was clear things were going to get tough. From there on I just lowered my head and concentrated on grinding it out.

It was clearly a bit humid today and probably had a lot to do with the problem. While the dreaded ice bath may have helped my recovery from the long run on Sunday, it clearly didn't belay the tiredness factor of putting in a 43-mile week.

Conditions

Hour: 10 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: partly sunny
Temperature: 72 degrees
Humidity: 50 percent
Wind: 4 mph
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Con Musica

Injury update: The inside of my left knee continues to be sore when I stretch and the outside quad is disconcertingly tight as well. My right calf felt tight to start but that went away in the warmup.