Saturday, December 9, 2006

New Shoes: Asics Gel Kayano XII

After running in the old Asics this week without the nagging calf problems I went back to Performance Footwear to see about getting a new pair of something along those lines.

I did a few laps around the parking lot in different pairs - including my old Saucony's - and, of course, the issue never came back up. But, although frustrating, that's damn good news.

In the end I went with a type of Asics that had a similar build but without the over-the-top motion control. The Asics Gel Kayano XII is one of those goofy looking shoes that you feel was designed as part of someone's Halloween costume. But, it has that same comfortable feel I have come to associate with the brand and that's, by far, the most important thing.

Now one thing I didn't like was how the lace section rubbed against the toes. It wasn't a critical issue but it could easily become annoying with enough miles.

I'll use this pair for my run today and, possibly, tomorrow. If it solves everything and works, awesome. If not, I'll go the conservative route and take them back to exchange for the tried-and-true Foundation VI.