Wednesday, December 6, 2006

Recovery Run

Distance: 5 miles
Time: 36:49
Pace: 7:22/mi

Comments: I honestly do not intend to run these things at such quick paces but it just sort of works out that way. I was actually planning on keeping this at the plus-8 minute range and kept slowing my pace down to do so, but it didn't work out that way.


One thing that might be making a difference is that I am purposefully shortening my strides. Most of the literature I am reading suggests this as a way to speed up distance times despite the counter-intuitiveness of it. What is clear is it is much more effecient energy-wise and it is a lot less brutal on the legs.

I played around with it during the half-marathon and was pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness.

Anyhow, felt pretty strong the whole run. I skipped yesterday's run since I was feeling very worn out and tired. Given the effort of the race and my recent injury issues I felt it best to play it safe.

Conditions

Hour: 11 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 54 degrees
Humidity: 26 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Saucony
Con Musica

Injury update: That damned calf ache came back at about the one-mile mark. It never got bad but it never went away either. I can't tell if it is a residual ache or a new aggravation due to going back to the old shoes.