Sunday, July 8, 2007

Marathon Training Summary: Week 7

Time: 4 hours 15 min
Distance: 43 kilometers

Comments: It has been more than a complete calendar month of underachieving for me. Five solid weeks of unfinished workouts and training schedules.So it was nice for the legs to cooperate enough to get in my first solid week of work since the week prior to kicking off formal 'training.' Three decent mid-week runs and one honking long one to cap it off. The concern, obviously, is that I might be pushing too hard given the slackitude of the previous weeks. Doubling my time and distance from last week to this is not the most advisable procedure. And while my pre-training schedule was better than what the last few weeks indicate, this is still a substantial increase from those numbers as well.This week calls for more of the same and then, the week after, I cut back a bit. Getting through this week was critical to make the marathon even a possibility, getting through the next two weeks will ,tell how realistic that h

In the past week I finally have gotten my training up to the level it needs to be. Ideally, I would like to be putting in four days during the week and hitting a faster pace on my long run but, since I'm so far behind in the effort it will probably be best not to push it. I've been very happy with how my body has reacted to the increase in workload. Focusing so much on the specific problems in my legs, I often overlook the more general situation. While my running has been sloppy I've been satisfied with my endurance and level of conditioning.Now, with the miles adding up, I'm starting to feel the need for fuel. I'm hungry a lot. During the last few weeks - while I was feeling somewhat depressed - my diet went