Wednesday, January 17, 2018

New Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 15

For the last few months (despite the sporadic running routine) I've been using a pair of Asics Gel Flux 4 shoes. I bought these on sale at a sporting goods store. Turns out they were a half size too small and that was growing increasingly problematic as I have been adding on the miles.

So, yesterday, while I was doing errands across North Texas I decided to stop at Fort Worth Running Company. I have never used this store or even heard anything about them. But, in my experience, these local, privately-owned stores provide the best service and feedback I need. And this turned out to be no exception.



The saleswoman - an experienced runner herself - performed the usual analysis they provide, which is neat but kind of unnecessary for me given my familiarity with my needs at this point. Where she really came through is offering good suggestions of shoes to try and, more importantly, solid reasons for doing so.

I've long worn a general stability shoe, usually Asics, but she suggested a neutral shoe with a orthotic insert for support.Years ago, when combating an injury issue, I wore a custom orthotic and it worked quite well.

So I went with her recommendation. I picked up a pair of Brooks Glycerin 15 shoes with Lynco L400 orthotic inserts. I like the fit of the shoes and the feel of the orthotic is noticeable but not to the point of  discomfort. The Asics felt a bit more rigid (as to be expected) so I decided to give the new approach a whirl.