Sunday, March 4, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 10 miles
Time: 1:34:53
Pace: 9:29 min/mi

Comments: With a race and a fast workout this week, I decided to err on the side of caution and give myself two days off before the long run. I wasn't even sure how long I wanted to do this one but finally settled on a 10 mile White Rock Lake Loop.

Today was a bit dour and, temperature-wise, not too bad at all. There were folks on the trail the whole course but never so many it became an ordeal. And a lot of them were clearly race training, so they tended to blow by me before I really knew they were there. So I got to really concentrate on my effort.

My plan was to use the first two miles to warm up and keep the first half of the run under 10 minute pace. After that I wanted to push it in order to get a negative split and then really make an effort on the final two miles. It went pretty much exactly like that. The second half of the run was three minutes faster than the first half and the final mile was under 8:30 pace. And I felt pretty much in control of it the whole way.

Conditions

Hour: 7:30 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: overcast
Temperature: 62 degrees
Humidity: 77 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 15

Injury update: nada