Saturday, March 10, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 15 miles
Time: 2:36:17
Pace: 10:25 min/mi

Comments: With the half-marathon in two weeks, I thought it might be prudent to get a run in with additional distance this weekend. I faded very hard on the last few miles of the Cowtown last month and I would prefer to not repeat that. The target today was 15 miles.

It started off pretty well. I did the first stretch on White Rock Creek Trail and, it turns out, there was a race on it. I ended up getting caught by the leaders of the half-marathon then, after I turned around, the back half of the 5K. Still, it was a good way to get me through the first leg of this effort.

I was feeling tired at the halfway point even though I had kept my pace up very well. I didn't eat this morning and I think that really put me in the hole, energywise. Since battling fatigue was the purpose of this run, I just girded myself for the worst. And it came.

I started to slow pretty significantly past the midway point and the last four miles were brutal. My pace dropped dramatically each of these miles and keeping focused on finishing the damn thing was pretty much all I could do. I was able to do it but it was not pretty by any means.

Conditions

Hour: 7:15 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: partly cloudy
Temperature: 62 degrees
Humidity: 72 percent
Wind: 3 mph gusts
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Brooks Glycerin 15

Injury update: Lots of aches over the course of this one. The two most concerning were the inside right shin splint and inside right knee which were problematic at different points.