Thursday, August 17, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 8.6 kilometers (5.3 miles)
Time: 43 minutes
Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather Conditions: chilly, overcast/misty, 50s, morning run
Location: Miraflores/Barranco, Lima, Peru

Comments: Tried running a limited reverse split - doing the second half of the run at a faster pace than the start. To do that I set a route in my mind and concentrated on accellerating at certain points. It wasn't fancy and probably not much of difference but it was a start.

Before setting out I stretched pretty good. My left leg is a lot tighter than my right and particulary the hamstring. I have been lax in post-run stretching and it is clear that has got to change soon. 

Once on the road I held back at first and just tried to keep a steady rhythm. The weather has turned chilly - it was the first time I could see my breath while running - but that means it's perfect for running. By halfway I was at my regular pace and feeling pretty strong. For the last third or so I cranked it up a bit and finished a lot earlier than I thought I would (I was shooting for the hour range). 

No aches or pains today. I crashed pretty hard yesterday so it is clear the miles are wearing on me. But I got a lot of rest and I also loaded up on calories and nutritious goodness since it was SANCOCHADO WEDNESDAY! (I can always tell if I am having a good week of running cause I clean off the repast with no problem.) As a result, I felt I had everything I needed for this run while I was out there.