Saturday, June 30, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 12 miles
Time: 1:58:21
Pace: 9:52 min/mi

Comments: I spent a good portion of the week trying not to obsess over the amount I had riding on this run. I've been shooting for a number of unspoken goals recently and this was where I had to make them happen.

I got started a little later than I like and paid for that with a much more crowded course. Mostly it was runners and the usual asshole cyclists, neither of which impeded my efforts. I got a powerbar down pre-run as well which seemed to help my energy levels.

The first part of the run was the usual slog. I just focused on each section as it arrived. I was still on track at the halfway point so that's where I really started focusing on keeping the pace up. I tried to keep increasing the effort slightly for each of the last four miles with some success. I finished feeling worn out but not completely fried like in the past.

So I hit all three run goals; 12 miles, negative splits and sub-two hours. I hit my training goal of a pace run and long run back-to-back. And I hit my monthly goal of 100 miles for the first time. All-in-all not a bad effort.

Conditions

Hour: 6:15 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: clear
Temperature: 79 degrees
Humidity: 84 percent
Wind: 10 mph
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: Twinge on the right kneecap at mile seven or so. Lasted about a quarter mile but passed.