Sunday, July 1, 2018

Marathon Training Summary: Week 1

Distance: 26.02 miles
Time: 4:07:38
Pace: 9:31 min/mi

Comments: It's 16 weeks out from Oct. 13 so, by default, this is the first week of marathon training. I feel I have put in enough miles to have a solid base to start working from but I don't know if enough of them are of sufficient quality to prepare me for the challenge.

Several runs this week were with the upcoming 10K in mind. It's not the ideal part of the year to get in a race (and it was damn tough to find a decent one as well). My hope is that race will provide a benchmark for my workout pacing over the course of the training.

I have little confusion about that since I seem to have been gravitating to certain paces but my heart rate isn't showing a maximum effort. I need to know when to increase the effort and how much to make the gains race training requires.

I was able to hit the century mark in miles for June. That's an important threshold to have met given the uptick in total miles training will require. I have also added the Strava app and hope to use some of the detailed run analysis to help guide my training.