Thursday, July 5, 2018

Tempo Run

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 33:42
Pace: 8:25 min/mi

Comments: So, yeah, I was still pissed off about the race yesterday. I got up about an hour later than normal and didn't get out to the trail until 8 a.m., pretty much the same time I started the race yesterday.

I wasn't about to do another six miles (or a warm up) but I did want to see how much the weather impacted my effort.The Trinity River Levee Trail has minimal shade so I figured it would be about the same conditions. I started with the intention of putting in a regular training run but kept pushing the pace as I felt I was able.

I basically treated it as a Tempo run, starting with a steady pace and pushing a bit harder each mile. I finished with a better overall pace than the race and feeling a hell of a lot less burnt out. More to the point, my heart rate never got into the higher zones. So, I guess, going out too fast was the real culprit yesterday.

Conditions

Hour: 8:00 a.m.
Surface: concrete/gravel
Weather: clear
Temperature: 77 degrees
Humidity: 84 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: Tightness in my right quad starting out.