Saturday, July 7, 2018

Pace Run

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 35:17
Pace: 8:48 min/mi

Comments: I've been pushing the miles this week but really focusing on complete efforts rather than just burning it as hard as I can. The target today was to hit race pace after the warm up of the first mile. Not only did I nail it, I probably had the most control over a run since I've restarted training this year.

The first half mile was nothing but warmup but, by the half-mile mark, I was getting into the groove of the thing. From that point on I was dialed into at 8:45 pace, with all of my splits within five seconds of that. More importantly, I was keeping on pace by effort more than by checking the GPS. That's a key improvement I'll need to have as I get deeper into race training.

Conditions

Hour: 6:20 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: clear
Temperature: 77 degrees
Humidity: 80 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Brooks Ghost 11

Injury update: Slight twinge on the right quad in mile four.