Monday, August 27, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 18 miles
Time: 3:05:55
Pace: 10:19 min/mi

Comments: I bumped the long run back a day out of an abundance of caution and it seems that was the right thing to do. I did pretty well through most of this effort but the last few miles were seriously tough.

I meant to get going at 5 a.m. but let myself sleep a bit longer. I was still out pretty early but I got more sun at the end than I really needed. The first few miles went well except for the water bottles. It was clumsy carrying them but I knew it wasn't an option.

I felt pretty good on the way out but the humidity had me sweating hard. At the turnaround I tried to up my cadence but not my effort in order to keep my momentum going. It worked for just more than five miles. The last three and a half miles were an exhausted slog that got worse every step. Somehow I gutted it out and got it done.

Conditions

Hour: 5:45 a.m.
Surface: concrete/gravel
Weather: clear
Temperature: 80 degrees
Humidity: 76 percent
Wind: 5 mph
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: A number of aches in my right leg at different times.