Sunday, September 23, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 20.04 miles
Time: 3:17:25
Pace: 9:51 min/mi

Comments: After a not insignificant amount of anxiety regarding this run, I was astonished how well it actually went. With the flooding this weekend, I wasn't sure if parts of the course would be underwater but it turned out OK. A bit of debris to dodge but nothing major.

The big upside was a break in the temperatures. This run was a good ten degrees cooler than my last one at this distance. Still humid as the bejesus but that wasn't as oppressive with the break in the heat.

I did the first ten miles an hour and 45 minutes then cranked out the second fifteen minutes faster. According to the Garmin, I set a half marathon PR, meaning I did 13.1 miles somewhere in there faster than both my races this spring.

If nothing else, this was a big confidence builder. I feel pretty good about my chances of finishing the race next month. Still not taking bets on getting under four hours, though.

Conditions

Hour: 6:20 a.m.
Surface: concrete
Weather: misty/overcast
Temperature: 68 degrees
Humidity: 99 percent
Wind: 5 mph
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: nada