Saturday, October 14, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 4 miles
Time: 27:17 minutes
Pace: 6:47/mi

Comments: My first run back stateside. My plan was to go for the distance with the hope of putting a full run around the block - four miles - in as close to a half hour as possible.

What I got was one of my fastest regular runs in some time.

I skipped the stretching but did a warm-up run to the main street. I then started the workout at a nice clip that turned out to be at a much better pace than I expected. But I decided to keep with it since I have pretty much slacked off all this week.

As I expected, the altitude is clearly an issue since I could feel the difficulty in trying to breath my normal rate. The lower humidity was an added complication, I could feel the need for a drink fast and my lips got dry halfway through.

The change of running to distance was a trick too. Straight miles are a lot more intimidating than kilometers. And every one of the full 5,280 feet stare you in the face when you turn each corner.

But the mental state for dealing with this is important since the race is about hitting the distance first and the time second. You gotta get to the finish line no matter what.

The secret weapon on this run was the new shoes. These new shoes come in at 12.1 ounces which is only three ounces shy of the ones I used before. But that's a lot given the time you spend on a workout. Add the cushioning factor and I clearly felt I had it easier foot-wise.

Anyhow, the push and all the changes kept me in the thing and I was very suprised at the time I got. It's the fastest workout I have done by mile yet. I think I need to double check the distance in the truck to make sure it's four miles.

Conditions

Surface: asphalt/concrete
Weather: partly cloudy
Hour: 3 p.m.
Temperature: 77 degrees
Humidity: 31 percent
Wind: 16 mph
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Injury update: No problems legwise. My shoulder continues to hurt a great deal and to the point it is affecting my running.