Thursday, November 30, 2006

Training Run

Distance: 5 miles
Time: 40:00 (approx)
Pace: 8:00/mi (approx)

Comments: Good run, bad effect. I struggled the first two miles due to the cold and the bracing wind. By the time I got warmed up and into the thing my left calf started to hurt.

After ruminating over one adage regarding pain - "If the pain gets worse during the run, think twice about what's going on." - I decided to throw in the towel at five miles.

Yet except for that I felt strong and in control of the run. I had no doubt I could get through the planned eight miles with little excess effort.

Conditions

Hour: 10 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 48 degrees
Humidity: 13 percent
Wind: 10 mph
Location: Chandler, Arizona
Shoes: Saucony
Sin Musica

Injury update: Yesterday, at the end of my run, I felt a tightness in the middle of my left calf. It's a place I have difficulty stretching and I marked it up to general soreness.

Heading out today, it reappeared and by the three mile point it felt like a sensitive bruise - sorta like when you get "frogged" in the shoulder. It never felt 'sharp' like a normal injury but it never eased off either.

At the five-mile spot I decided to give in rather than pushing through and hurting myself for real. I'll do ice and stretching tonight and see if that helps it any.