Sunday, December 10, 2006

Long Run

Distance: 20 miles
Time: 2:53:11
Pace: 8:40/mi

Comments: Ok, I know this isn't the wisest or best thought out thing I have done during my training but I decided to put in my first 20-miler today.

I just have had too many setbacks and problems recently. Not only physically but mentally I've been a mess. I got out on the run today and just told myself, 'To hell with it.' If my leg blows out due to this run it really wouldn't matter since not having these long runs dooms my goal time effort anyway.

I'll finish the damned race no matter what, even if I have to crawl by my lips across the finish line.

So I got out on the road today planning to put in the 18-miler. Felt pretty good. So I pushed it a bit further. Things went relatively well. The first has was great. The third fourth was less so but pretty smooth and the last five miles were not too fun. I think I got my first brush with "the wall" since I was running track in high school.

Overall the effort was a strong one. I tried to concentrate on keeping a strong pace with good form rather than speed. I came in just under the three-hour limit I set for myself. The hope being I can improve that a bit in two weeks and then smash it on race day.

Conditions

Hour: 10 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: sunny
Temperature: 57 - 66 degrees
Humidity: 45 - 30 percent
Wind: 15 mph
Location: Chandler/Gilbert/Mesa, Arizona
Shoes: Asics Kayano
Con Musica

Injury update: Well, one reason I made the decision to push through for the 20-mile mark was the lack of real problems with the calf. It was pretty much it's usual low-level ache from the start but nothing major. I did get a bit nervous around the seven-mile mark when it got pretty sensitive but it eased off after about half a mile.