Sunday, July 15, 2018

Long Run

Distance: 12 miles
Time: 1:55:57
Pace: 9:39 min/mi

Comments: So the slog toward big miles has begun. While today's long run marked a return to the 12 miles I have run in the past month, it'll be the first of a progression of increasing distance until I hit the 20-mile mark in September.

The goal today was pretty much the same as last week; hold a 10 min/mi pace until the last four miles where the target is race pace (sub-9 min/mi). The hills on the first leg got me behind a bit but I made it up progressively through mile eight.

I did pretty well on the hills at the end of mile eight and drove right into the race pace after that. Instead of longer strides, I focused on faster cadence and that seemed to work pretty well. The last mile was tougher than I liked but it's good to know I'm pushing my limits a bit.

Conditions

Hour: 5:45 a.m.
Surface: concrete/asphalt
Weather: clear
Temperature: 81 degrees
Humidity: 71 percent
Wind: calm
Location: Dallas, Texas
Shoes: Saucony Triumph ISO 4

Injury update: nada